Puerto Maldonado is a city in southeastern Peru, capital of Madre de Dios Region, situated on the banks of the Madre de Dios River, formerly called Amaru Mayo. It is one of the main commercial areas of the Amazon. He carries the official title of Capital of Biodiversity of Peru in recognition of important records of flora and fauna found in the forests of the department, especially in the Manu. Tambopata Reserved area covers about 1.5 million hectares and was created in January 1990
- Starting Altitude – 2.100m / 7,220ft.
- Highest Altitude – 2.615m / 7,780ft.
- Walking Distance – 8km / miles
- Overall Difficulty – Moderate
ECOLOGICAL LOST COCHA (*3 DAYS, 2 NIGHTS)
Monkey Island – You will be picked up from Puerto Maldonado airport and will travel by bus to the port. From here we will take a boat down the Madre de Dios River in order to get to our jungle lodge. During this trip you will see caimans, turtles, herons and other animals along the river banks.
Once we arrive at the lodge, you will be welcomed with a delicious local drink and after this, you will have time to settle into your bungalow and have lunch.
In the afternoon, you will visit Monkey Island (5 minutes away from the lodge) with our specialist local Guide. During your hike on the island you will observe extraordinary scenery and vegetation that shelters a tremendous variety of monkeys in their natural habitat (for example, the Black Spider monkey, Capuchin monkey, Tamarin monkey, Squirrel monkey and the South American Coati) as well as a large number of birds. You will stay to enjoy the sun setting over the island and then return to the lodge for a lovely dinner.
Lost Cocha – After breakfast you will begin your guided adventure through the virgin rain forest in the Lost Cocha (lost lake). This cocha is a protected ecosystem that sustains an a vast variety of animals such as giant otters, caimans, turtles, Brazilians tapirs “sachavacas”, colourful birds, piranhas, jaguars and other animals.
This area is a unique part of the Ecoamazonia Reserve because its immense swamps and marshes still remain intact today. Later, we will go to a magnificent Watch Tower – this is built at the top of a very big tree (Shihuahuaco). From here you will be able to have a panoramic view of the beauty of the rainforest. You will then go for a relaxing canoe ride around the lake and return to the lodge for lunch.
In the afternoon, you will have the unique experience of visiting a local jungle family by canoe. We will return to the lodge for dinner.
Jungles lodge – Puerto Maldonado – We will have breakfast and then travel by boat to Puerto Maldonado. From the port we will travel to the airport.
- Professional, bilingual Tour Guide
- Trip from airport to lodge and vice versa
- **Accommodation (2-person bungalow)
- 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 2 dinners
- **If you require single accommodation, this is available at an increased price.
- What you need to take:
- Small backpack
- Walking boots/hiking sandals
- Cotton t-shirts
- Long-sleeved tops
- Light trousers
- Cotton underwear
- Waterproof jacket
- Sun hat
- Sun protection cream (factor 35 recommended)
- Insect repellent (with minimum 25% DEET)
- Personal medication
- Camera and films
- Torch (powerful) with spare batteries
- B. Prices include flight to and from Puerto Maldonado
- *2 or 4-day trips are also available. Please contact us for further information about these alternative routes.
- Price: $350 per person