Rainbow mountain Peru, also known as Vinicunca is a undiscovered land full of wildly desert landscapes, snow capped glaciated peaks, herds of alpaca, and pristine beauty.
Throughout your journey you will pass through a vibrant green valley with the impressive Ausangate mountain towering in the distance. You will experience first hand how locals live in the mountains and even see them hard at work. As you get closer to the Rainbow Mountain you will begin to see the first signs of the colored minerals that formed the painted hills. Your guide will explain what makes up the existence of the Rainbow Mountain, and finally with one last push you will hike up to a vantage point that gives you a 360 degree view of the beautiful landscape that makes up the sacred land. You have made it to the ultimate destination- The painted hills hidden deep in the Andes.
Overall trek distance: 28 km / 17.3 miles
Starting altitude: 4,380 m / 14,370 ft
Maximum altitude: 5,020 m / 16,466 ft
Overall trek difficulty: Challenging
Day 1: Cusco – Urcos – Quesiuno – Llamachimpana
Rainbow Mountain 2 days, We will pick you up early from your hotel in Cusco and make our trip through the southern valley. Towards Quesiuno – Pitumarca (4,326 m) is 3 hours long. Once we arrive at the place, we will organize all the luggage in the horses and we will begin our hike uphill. Following a lovely stream, you will immediately be surprised by the herd of alpacas and llamas. We will also have beautiful views and ausangate mountains. We will walk through the villages and interact with local residents. We have the opportunity to see chinchillas and vicuñas. The vicuñas are the only animals not domesticated in Peru.
After a walk of 3 to 4 hours, we will arrive at our camp Ccarabiri, near the town of Llamachimpana. Our chef will make us a fantastic lunch when we arrive. After lunch (weather permitting), we will go to the village and have the opportunity to interact with residents. They will tell us about their local customs and would love to share their history with the hikers. They will tell us about the potato fields that surround the area.
Then we return to the camp where we will have happy hour and dinner. When night falls, we will have a night of serene sleep under the stars.
- Meals: Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner + snacks
- Lowest Elevation: 4,326 m / 14,189 ft
- Highest Elevation: 4,598 m / 15,082 ft
- Distance to walk: 4 km / 2 ½ miles
- Approximate walking time: 3 to 4 hours
- Level of Difficulty: Challenging
Day 2: Llamachimpana – Vinicunca – Quesiuno – Cusco
We wake up to a cup of hot coca tea and the gorgeous sunrise. Our chef will prepare an amazing breakfast to start the day. Our destination today is the Rainbow Mountain. This is a two hour uphill hike. On the way up, we will have consistent views of stunning red mountains, the Ausangate glacier and Surine Mountain. Finally, we reach our destination, what we came to see….the mountains (5,020 m / 16,466 ft). After getting over the shock of their beauty, we will have time to explore the area. We will have time to take pictures and soak in the environment. We will spend approximately 30 minutes at the top.
At this point, it is time to go back down. We hike downhill the way we came. The hike will take 4 to 5 hours. Our chef will be waiting for us at the bottom with a hearty lunch. Following lunch, we will embark on the 3 hour drive back to Cusco and drop you off at your Cusco hotel. Approximate arrival time is 7.oo.p.m
- Meals: Breakfast/Lunch + snacks
- Lowest Elevation: 4,326 m / 14,189 ft
- Highest Elevation: 5,020 m / 16,466 ft
- Distance to walk: Uphill: 3.5 km / 2 miles; Downhill 7 km / 4 ½ miles
- Approximate walking time: 2 hours up; 4 to 5 hours down
- Level of Difficulty: Difficult
RAINBOW MOUNTAIN MAP.
- Bilingual English speaking tour guide (additional tour guide for groups of nine people or more)
- Pre-Departure Briefing at your hotel 1 or 2 days before your trek.
- Pick up from your hotel and transportation to Quesiuno and return transportation with hotel drop off
- Four-person tent for every 2 people.
- Inflatable Mattress and pillow
- Kitchen tent
- Dining tent with tables and chairs
- Toilet tent and portable toilet
- Professional Chef and assistant chef
- Wranglers and horses to carry all the equipment (food, tents, chairs, table, etc)
- Horse to transport 8 kg of your personal gear
- Duffle bag for your personal gear
- one breakfasts, two lunches and one dinner
- Hot water for washing
- Boiled and cold water to fill the water bottles.
- Emergency oxygen bottle and medical kit.
Services Not Included:
- Sleeping bag – you can rent one from us
- Trekking poles – you can rent them from us
- Tips for the crew (guide, chef, wranglers)
- Travel /Health / Emergency insurance
Your Content Goes Here
What to bring:
- Original passport (if you have acquired a new one after you made your booking, bring both)
- Down or synthetic feather sleeping bag (can be rented from us)
- Clothes (warm/winter jacket, rain pants, hiking boots, poncho, winter hat, gloves)
- Toiletries (toilet paper, wet wipes, personal towel)
- Sun block, factor 50+ recommended
- Sunglasses and sun hat
- Camera with spare batteries – batteries run down faster at high altitudes
- Trekking poles (recommended especially for the steep descents, can be rented from us)